Learn PHP - Lesson 1 Tutorial - How to get started with PHP - Part 2 of 4, The web server
There are basics one must know when getting started with PHP.
In this lesson, we will cover the following:
1) At a minimum you need a high level understanding of what makes up that which we call the internet
2) Understand the basics of what constitutes a web server (at least as far as we're concerned to get your coding)
3) The two easiest ways for you to start creating php web applications.
4) Learn how to create a php page.
Let's start with a figure, Figure 1 below:
I want to show you what makes up a web server at a high level.
Imagine your computer. You have an operating system
installed, most likely windows.
Within your operating system you more than likely store files in the 'My Documents' / 'Documents' folder or somewhere else within the file system. This is basic file storage
The other main pieces of functionality that differentiates a web server from your computer is:
Web application software
- server side software that allows your computer to server up dynamic, logic driven web sites. Examples include .NET(C#)
, Coldfusion, etc. We will be learning PHP
Web server software
- software is needed to turn your computer into a web server. The software deals with name records, domain information, and server configurations that allow web sites on the server to be shown and available to the entire internet. Your domain name is configured into the computer via this software after it is purchased through the appropriate channels. Microsoft .NET's web server software is IIS
, the open source alternative is Apache's HTTP server software
- database software adds the ability to store data relevant to your web site. On enterprise sized web sites, database servers may be separated on different servers for the sake of bandwidth. Examples of different database software includes Oracle's 11g
, MySQL server
, Microsoft SQL server
The web server hosts content that to the internet.
This is the basic functionality that makes up a web server.